The Indian T20 League is the biggest stage for a player to showcase his talents. The franchises are often seen spending fortunes in an attempt to secure the services of the biggest players in the world for their franchises. But sometimes the players failed to justify their talents and also the high price paid for them.
Here we take a look at five players who did not perform according to expectations in the 15th edition of the Indian T20 League.
1. Rohit Sharma: Rohit Sharma is arguably the most prolific run scorer of the Mumbai team. He has led the team to five title wins over the years. Not only his captaincy, he has made great contributions to the team’s successful run across seasons. But the Indian T20 League 2022 has been a nightmare for the man. He has scored 268 runs in 14 innings at an average of 19.14 and a strike rate of 120.18. These numbers do not justify Rohit’s abilities as a batter.
2. Virat Kohli: Virat Kohli is experiencing a tough time with the bat for the last couple of years. Fans and experts of the game hoped that the man will revive his form in the 15th edition of the tournament. But in Indian T20 league 2022, Kohli has been able to score 334 runs at an average of 23.86 and a strike rate of 116.78. The ‘Run-Machine’ has failed to live up to the expectations the fans rested on him.
3. Kane Williamson: Hyderabad’s skipper Kane Williamson is known for his class batting. The franchise hope that he will be the backbone of the team in the tournament. But he failed miserably in carrying the responsibility of the team with the bat in hand. He just scored 216 runs from 13 matches in the tournament at an average of 19.64 and a strike rate of just 93.51. These stats are way below what was expected of Williamson.
4. Shardul Thakur: Shardul Thakur has been an integral part of the Chennai team in their title runs of 2018 and 2021. He also grew in reputation as an all-rounder in the international arena in the last two seasons. His latest exploits prompted the Delhi franchise to buy him for INR 10.75 Cr. But Shardul Thakur hasn’t lived up to the expectations. He picked up 15 wickets in 14 matches but conceded runs at a rate of 9.79 runs per over and scored runs at an average of just 15.0 in the few chances he got. Thus, he failed to justify his hefty price tag.
5. Ruturaj Gaikwad: The orange cap holder of the 2021 season, failed to show the same consistency in the Indian T20 League 2022. After a 600+runs season, Gaikwad scored just 368 runs in the tournament at an average of 26.29 and a strike rate of 126.29. His lack of form has been one of the reasons Chennai failed to perform at their best in the season.